With the R53 getting older, we are seeing more and more cars coming in with worn piston rings, causing the car to burn oil. If oil is leaking up past the oil controll rings into the cylinder your engine may also suffer from pre ignition causing major engine damage!
We are pleased to put together a package that will allow you to simply have just the piston rings replace (and all the appropriate bolts and gaskets) , or use the opportunity of your engine being stripped down to upgrade to stronger components such as ARP bolts, Mahle Motorsport bearings, 1320 forged Con Rods etc.
So, whats involved in the process:
- We start by getting your car on the ramp
- Oil and water are both drained
- Various parts are removed to allow access to the cylinder head
- The cylinder head is then removed
- Next up is to start on the bottom end of the engine
- The air con pump is removed
- The sump is removed
- The oil pick up pipe is removed
- This now allows access to the bottom of the con rods
- The con rod bolts are removed and the big end cap is removed (extra care is taken to insure these are kept in the correct order)
- The pistons can now be pushed out the top of the block
- Now is time to measure the old piston ring gaps to insure they warrent being replaced (trust us, they will be worn!)
- The new piston ring gaps are measured in the block and gapped if necessary
- The pistons are then cleaned of any carbon build up
- New piston rings are fitted to the pistons
- The pistons are reinstalled into the block
- The big end cap is placed back on and a set of new ARP bolts are always used
- The bottom end is then built back up with a new sump gasket and all parts cleaned of any oil or dirt
- Now it's time to start on the top end
- The cylinder head is cleaned and tested for leakage past the valves (similar to a leak down test but this is carried out with the head off the car)
- If the results are bad, we would recommend the customer to allow us to re-lap the valves in. If the redults are good we will continue to re fit the cylinder head.
- The block and head face are cleaned up to ensure a good flat sealing surface
- A new head gasket is placed on the block and the head placed on.
- New cylinder head bolts are used to clamp the head down to the block tightly (here's another chance to upgrade these to ARP head bolts)
- The remaining parts are all cleaned and refitted.
- The new piston rings then have to be 'Run in' to allow a good seal to the cylinder wall. The engine is filled with mineral oil to do this.
- We can either run the car in for you, or if your confident you can do this yourself.
- After the running in process the oil must be replaced with fully synthetic oil and a new oil filter fitted (Included in the price)
The base price includes all new parts required for the job and the labour to carry out the process. For any extras please tick the box on the right to see the price change. Most of the time we won't charge you any extra labour, just the cost of the part! In some cases we may have to add a little bit of labour.